A hospital for the happiness of mothers and children, and the sound growth of children
Aiiku Hospital originates from the Imperial Gift Foundation Boshi-Aiiku-Kai established in 1934, with an imperial donation received from Emperor Showa in celebration of the birth of the crown prince (the present Emperor), and serves as Japan’s core medical institution specializing in perinatal medical care. The present hospital was constructed as a comprehensive maternal and child healthcare center in 1980, in a quiet corner of Arisugawa Park in Minami Azabu, and originally planned to form a calm, rich space with an appearance and design that suit its origin, without attaching priority to functions that were mainstream ideas in those days. This hospital is the first example of 21st century-style hospital design that targets patients and healing.
|Number of beds||118|
|Total floor area||7,000m²|